Monday, June 20, 2016

Summer and Beyond

Today is officially the first day of summer. Summer and I have a bit of a love-hate relationship. I love the long days, no school, the smell of people grilling in their backyards, and the constant state of sun-kissed skin. I do not love the heat and humidity combination!

I am a teacher's aide, so obviously I look forward to the summer vacation. Don't get me wrong, I adore the kids and absolutely love my job, but it is exhausting. Between us, my husband and I have five children. He has twin daughters, I have a son and daughter, and we have a daughter together. 

Before I started working at the local elementary school, I stayed home for almost three years with our youngest. I know most stay-at-home parents count down the days for summer vacation to end so they can send their kids off to school again. Not me. I love not having to set an alarm every day, or make school lunches, or fight with my daughter about the school dress code and why she can't wear that spaghetti strap tank top. I love not having to worry about the kids getting their homework done, or having dinner finished and the kids bathed and in bed by a certain time. Mostly, I love spending the long days with them.
A group hug initiated my our youngest!
Don't get me wrong, they all drive me crazy! They fight with each other, whine, complain when I don't let them play with their electronics all day, and one of them is always hungry! 

Last week was the first week of my kids' summer vacation and the first week of our five weeks with the twins. It was a busy week as it was my daughter's 11th birthday. I allowed her to get the tips of her hair dyed red - she's only been asking for two years! She goes off to middle school after the summer so I wanted to do something special for her. She always works so hard and did so well all throughout her elementary school days, I felt she deserved it.

A before and after of the special birthday hair!
For her birthday, my daughter wanted a pool party and ice-cream sundae bar. He cousin is visiting from the other coast, which is nice because she was able to be here for her birthday.

Cousins at the birthday party.
Adorable photo booth props I found through Kristen Duke Photography
This summer we will be trying to grow a pineapple and some lychees, doing some fun experiments and crafts, and enjoying our downtime before the crazy school year starts back up again! Please follow along and let me know what you're doing this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment